If you think apprenticeships are something only Lord Sugar does for the TV cameras, then think again and prepare to be amazed!
First, the stats
- Since 2010, there have been over 2 million apprenticeships in England
- Apprenticeships are available in over 170 industries including aerospace, fashion, broadcast media and finance
- Businesses report an average increase in productivity of £214 a week when they hire apprentices
- Most apprentices are aged 19 to 24
- 71% of apprentices stay with the same employer after their apprenticeship has ended
- The government invested 1.5bn in apprenticeships in 2013 to 2014
- 70% reported that apprenticeships improved their productivity or the quality of their product or service*.
How it works
Apprenticeships are a really simple yet clever way of helping your business grow with a mixture of on the job experience coupled with on and off the job training.
Businesses who are tapping into the masses of fresh, raw talent we have in Gloucestershire, are realising that taking on an apprentice is a credible means of creating employment, and a natural part of growing their SME business.
Invest in people
By hiring an apprentice you’re investing in the future of your business. It’s vital to have a succession plan, and to develop enthusiastic and energetic employees with knowledge, so they can become tomorrow’s business leaders. Take a look at this short video promoting the ‘Get in. Go far.’ campaign and have a look at this infographic.
Okay, tell me more
So, if you’ve never thought about an apprentice for your business, perhaps you should. And The Growth Hub is the perfect place to go to find out more. As part of The University of Gloucestershire, we’re a gateway to the Business School, bringing the business community and students together to help develop the next generation of talent.
The Growth Hub works closely with The Skills Funding Agency – the brains behind National Apprentice Week, GWP and GFirst LEP to offer practical advice about which companies apprenticeships are relevant for. We can answer any of your questions and make the process really simple. You’ll wonder why you didn’t consider it before!
We’ve got lots of success stories to share from companies large and small who were struggling with recruitment, resource and innovation. Apprenticeships hadn’t crossed their mind, and now they are firmly a part of their overall recruitment strategy.